Monday, October 18, 2010

Monday evening

Well, I'm home (at last!)! Walked into the house at 1 pm Saturday, about 28 hours after leaving the hotel in Sohna. A long trip, all in darkness until landing at New York. The plane was very full, with larger complements of CWG people, especially from the Caribbean. The seats seemed much narrower than on the flight out, or perhaps I had enjoyed Indian food too much and for too long. I only slept fitfully during the 15 hour journey to New York. My next door neighbour was as large as I am and we both 'overflowed' our seats. There was frequent clashing of elbows! Almost the greatest relief was driving back from the airport here in a smooth limo, no traffic jams, no horns blowing, no cattle on the road and so on!! Worth every cent of the $100! I stayed up as long as possible, but was passing out well before 7pm. Now a couple of days later, I feel better, but not exactly in phase. We had delicious rare roast beef tonight, a real treat after over three weeks' of abstinence! The autumn colours are very fine, with a lot of leaves down., but more to come No hard frost yet, and the red dahlias are still in full bloom. It's good to feel the cool air, and, funnily, to get cold water out of the tap!

And, now, it's over - a quote from Kipling's "Recessional" might be appropriate at this time:
"The tumult and the shouting dies;
The Captains and the Kings depart "

I did not write any of the promised notes during the journey, the ride was too uncomfortable for any thoughts, sensible or otherwise. So, I still have my formal Jury Reports to write, as well as offering my views on the shoot as a whole. The subject of electronic targets and their use in this CWG is likely to remain emotional and controversial. All views, especially on what happened at CRPF in the last few weeks, should be voiced. IMHO, this was the most problematic major fullbore competition that I have been part of in over 50 years of shooting. There will be more on this in due course.

1 comment:

  1. Nice to see you made it home safe and sound Jim. Am really interested in eventually hearing/reading all about the CWG, the happenings with the targetry etc.

    ReplyDelete