Thursday, October 14, 2010




Thursday evening 2040 here

Just a short one for now - perhaps more later.

If you are not watching the Closing Ceremony, you should be! The military band section a few minutes ago was fabulous. I'm not at the stadium, but watching on TV at the hotel in between power cuts! Athletes just coming in, I have caught glimpses of Ian Shaw, Dave Calvert, and I think, Des Vamplew.

This was a much needed restful day. John McD left in the wee small hours; Phil H just after breakfast; Peter T in mid-morning; Cliff M and Keith B about an hour ago. So it's just me here for tonight, leaving the hotel tomorrow afternoon.

A snap from the restful afternoon, kept in company with Kingfisher that the young lady is bringing, and one from the TV of the ongoing ceremony. The photo on the left is the pool area where the Kingfisher was enjoyed.

Later - trouble with the internet connection, so this may not work. I went to the restaurant to watch the rest of the Closing. The TV is in a lower level of the bar, where smoking is allowed, but no food. I had quite a good view from above that and had dinner there. No one else seemed to be showing much interest in the events, apart from the barman with whom I had an interesting chat. A group of four came in, took a table in front of the TV and started playing bridge! Never a glance at the festivities!! I enjoyed the Scottish segment, but the Indian pop singers did not do too much for me.

I'll be leaving here today en route for Canada via New York. This will probably be my last offering until I get home on Saturday (I hope!). It's a long flight to JFK, with plenty of time to muse on these extraordinary three weeks. I expect to have some further reflections to add from Canada.

Thanks to all who have been reading this, and especially to those who have enjoyed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment